Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pirate Bones

Author(s): Ryan (N/A)
Pirate Bones

Directed by Frank Darabont
Written by Frank Darabont
Music by Thomas Newman

Principal Cast:
Ethan Hawke (Adrian Blanchard)
Jennifer Connelly (Alice Blanchard)

Tagline: "Just a Pile of Pirate Bones."

Synopsis: There is not much left to say. The huge SOS written in the sand sums it all up pretty good. I doubt anyone cares about this letter; only the people that tried to kill me and my wife, though my wife is already dead.

This pen and paper is pretty much all that survived the wreck. Don’t know why I never used it in the last month on this island. For whoever finds this letter I hope you learn what happened and send for help.

Me and my wife, Alice found a…a map. Well, not a map but some coordinates and a crude sketch, but it was authentic. Watermark, aging, stamp and signature by no other than Blackbeard himself… My wife and I are collectors, treasure-seekers, scoundrels, thieves. Most people call are misunderstood occupation as pirates and that is what it truly is, no matter what fancy words we use to disguise it. That’s what we turned into on this venture. Greed took over and now we have emptied every last drop of our lives, our bones will become dry, just like pirate bones.

We didn’t want others to find out about our discovery. The island was unmarked and a few hundred miles off the southeast coast of the Bahamas. The size of a shoebox, the island was submerged in water for the last few hundred years, but is resurfaces every so often. It is submerging again. Telling the coastguard we were going in the opposite direction to throw off our followers, well, joke’s on us.

A thunderstorm broke out and our ship took quite a beating, so did our radio back to land and our possessions. We found the treasure and it certainly was the find. Millions of dollars in gold and gems. Alice and I knew survival would be hard with a few coconuts and wet bread, but we quickly built a raft or at least a plank from what was left. Both of us could fit and not sink or one of us and the gold. Greed played a role in this decision. Greed played a role in our whole lives, how else would we…now I, be in this situation? We decided to wait. However, when Alice started coughing blood and I started to shiver in 115 degree weather, primal instincts took over. I didn’t mean to kill her, just knock her out and when I got to shore with the treasure call for help. Alice surprised me with the machete; I guess she knew what was coming. A fist to the windpipe in self-defense unfortunately did more than knock her out.

Now you may wonder why I didn’t make it back to shore. The wood rotted and a few yards out into the ocean our makeshift raft snapped in half. It was me or the treasure. I wasn’t giving up just yet. I forgot completely about Alice. I had the decency to bury her however, right in the hole where we dug up the treasure….the treasure.

No planes flew by, no ships in the distance, not even a seagull or fish. I eventually dug back up Alice.

I thought of emptying the treasure chest and going back in that, but when the island re-submerges, it will be impossible to find the treasure again. I am not sure of my next move, but time is of the essence. I am considering floating on the chest; though I worry the jewels will be damaged by the salt water. Please help me and I am offering a cut of the treasure too for rescue.
-Adrian Blanchard

What the press would say:

Set against the beautiful backdrop of the Caribbean, Frank Darabont creates another masterpiece in this two person cinematic experience that will have everyone second guessing their values and beliefs in the most extreme situations.

Detailed dialogue and smart, realistic moves played by each character, Darabont brings his ideas to the screen on greed, life and relationships in one of the first films of its kind. What could be either a brilliant play or movie script, Darabont chooses the latter for his creation. Reminiscent of Tarantino’s dialogue (with a little less language), Darabont makes the screenplay down-to-earth as a real couple would speak with varying topics that make the ending of the film that more chilling; creating a connection with the audience. His camera work is smooth and captures the serene ocean yet the horror experienced by the couple it holds hostage.

However, no matter how great the dialogue, a great actor must not only read it, but feel it. This is done by the Academy Award winning and nominated cast of Ethan Hawke and Jennifer Connelly.

Hawke plays a loving husband turned sadistic wife killer in a stunning transformation along with Connelly who turns from caring wife to attempted murderer. Hawke is remorseful, but overwhelmed with greed which even blocks out his emotion of survival. Connelly also shocks the audience after she goes dead-behind-the-eyes; blinded by money and starvation. Money, greed, isolation and hunger and heat drive these people to make shocking decisions that will startle everyone.

In these two and a half hours, everyone will revaluate their lives. This small film has the same effect as an epic with an even more powerful punch. Pirate Bones may be new, but the word “classic” is written all over it.

Best Picture
Best Director: Frank Darabont
Best Screenplay: Frank Darabont
Best Original Score: Thomas Newman
Best Actor: Ethan Hawke
Best Actress: Jennifer Connelly

No comments: